- Credit hours required: 12 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 2 hours of professionalism or legal ethics credit per reporting period
- Length of reporting period: 1 year
- Compliance date: October 31
- Compliance Reporting date: December 15
- Compliance group: All attorneys report annually.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credit for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round up or down to the nearest half hour.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self report their attendance at ABA program using the Virginia course number provided to attendees on their certificate of completion. The ABA does not send certificates of attendance to the Virginia MCLE board. View details on certifiying compliance with Virginia.
- On-demand programs may not be viewed until approval is received from the state. Check program details page for each program before completion to ensure that the program is available for credit.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.