- Credit hours required: 24 hours per reporting period
- Specialty credits required: 2 hours of legal ethics, 1 hour attorney wellness, and 1 hour diversity and inclusion credit per reporting period
- Length of reporting period: 2 years
- Compliance date: June 30
- Reporting date: July 1
- Compliance group: All attorneys report every 2 years. Newly admitted attorneys are required to report on July 1 of the second full year following the year of admission and biennially thereafter.
- Minutes per credit hour: 60 minutes. To calculate credit for a specific program, divide the total length of the program in minutes by 60 and round up or down to the nearest quarter hour.
- Attendance Reporting Procedure: Attorneys must self-report completion of CLE requirements each reporting period through the required affidavit. Neither the ABA nor attorneys send certificates of attendance to the Vermont Board of Mandatory Continuing Legal Education.
MCLE Rule Changes
In reaction to the evolving situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, most live in-person CLE events have been cancelled across the world. In response, state and other jurisdictions have have temporarily suspended the requirements that their attorneys attend in-person CLE to fulfill their MCLE requirements or adjusted deadlines, fees, or other aspects of their rules. Your state may have temporarily changed MCLE requirements.