2011 In Review
Next year promises to be an exciting time to be involved with LPM. Our Section’s committees and delivery boards are working on very innovative projects and initiatives. As this year winds down, we still have time to review past accomplishments, while looking look forward to new and exciting opportunities.
A Year of Growth and Progress
- As 2011 comes to an end, let me share some Section news with you:
- Our Publishing Board produced 11 books and realized revenue of over $1 million.
- Our Webzine Board delivered 12 issues of the Section’s e-newsletter, which has a circulation of 60,000+(and growing!).
- The Law Practice magazine produced six issues of the magazine, with a growing number of advertisers wanting to reach our members.
- The Section hosted more than 93 educational programs with nearly 2,000 in attendance.
- Our Membership Committee developed and began execution of outreach efforts to help spread the word about the wonderful work the LPM Section is doing to support our members.
- The ABA Women Rainmakers traveled nationwide to present an education program called “Understanding and Articulating Your Personal Brand.” All of our Boards and Committees continue to do amazing work through their outstanding effort, dedication and time commitment to the Section.
ABA Diversity Committee
In a world of increasing globalization, more than ever, law firms must become more creative and open to change. Attorneys work with people internationally and are part of a worldwide economy with competition from nearly every continent. Law firms must diversify their workforce in order to keep up with competition. Law firms must focus on diversity and create new ways to become totally inclusive organizations. Diversity has the potential to increase productivity and provide competitive advantages, and law firms can no longer thrive with an insular business plan. Diversity is an invaluable 21st-century asset that firms cannot afford to ignore.
The ABA LPM Diversity Committee recognizes the importance of a diverse law firm and works tirelessly on developing and implementing a plan to educate law firms on diversity issues. One of the plan’s resources is a “diversity tool kit.” The tool kit includes training modules to certify diversity training. This is a dynamic field with resources that are constantly in development by many experts. Our Section, during development and work on this plan, sought guidance and expertise from many people and entities, including the Commission on Racial & Ethnic Diversity in the Profession; the Commission on Women in the Law; the Commission on Mental & Physical Disability; and the Commission on Law & Aging.
This project is an exciting opportunity for LPM and promises to be another successful venture that all members can be proud of! Stay tuned for more updates.
The Section thanks all of our active members, and encourages others to get involved. Participants find that involvement is fulfilling. Do you have suggestions? Are there topics you would like to see developed? Please contact me. We want to connect with you, so watch, follow, connect and “friend” the Section through social media!
Follow us on Twitter! @lawpracticetips now has thousands of followers—join our followers and get tips via Twitter!
CLE ON THE GO
Just because an event has occurred in the past doesn’t mean you’ve missed your chance to participate. LPM holds at least one live teleconference every month where LPM members have the opportunity to interact with the presenters online and receive the LPM member discount. Many members might not realize it, but following the live program, a recording is available for purchase for those who could not attend. Even though the information is not being presented in real-time, it is still good!
Catch up on these LPM Teleconferences that you’ve missed at lawpractice.org/events_cle.
- 60 iPhone and iPad Apps in 60 Minutes for Lawyers
- Strategic Planning for Law Firm Success: The 10 Critical Steps tinyurl.com/6jo6u28
- Google for Lawyers: Essential Search Tips and Productivity Tools 2011 tinyurl.com/3dnwx4k
- Paperless Law Office: How To Reduce the Use of Paper in your Practice and Increase your Productivity tinyurl.com/3z6sype
- Virtual Law Practice: How to Deliver Legal Services Online tinyurl.com/3e346o9