Five women with legal careers spanning private practice, law school leadership, nonprofit work and the judiciary will receive the 2022 Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award from the ABA Commission on Women in the Profession. The award was established in 1991 to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of female lawyers who have achieved professional excellence within their specialty and paved the way for other women.
The Margaret Brent awards ceremony will be held at 3 p.m. CDT on Aug. 7, as part of the ABA Annual Meeting in Chicago. For ticket and registration information, please visit ambar.org/annual.
“We are honored to recognize this spectacular group of women who have been trailblazers throughout their careers,” said Maureen Mulligan, chair of the ABA Commission on Women in the Profession. “They are role models for all women in the legal profession, and we look forward to celebrating with them in person in August.”
The 2022 Brent honorees are:
- Michele Goodwin, chancellor’s professor at University of California, Irvine School of Law in Irvine, California
- Christina L. Martini, partner and global head of trademark prosecution and controversy practice at McDermott Will & Emery in Chicago.
- Laura J. Schumacher, vice chairman of external affairs and chief legal officer at AbbVie in North Chicago, Illinois
- Myra C. Selby, partner at Ice Miller in Indianapolis
- Wendy Shiba, principal with the Red Bee Group in Altadena, California
Previous recipients of the award include U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justices Sandra Day O’Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.