Date: November 4, 2010
Duration: 60 minutes
Committee: Litigation Committee
About the Program
If you are a new or young lawyer, this is a must-attend session. Lawyers from across the country—both experienced and less so—will discuss their experiences, share valuable tips, and address the following 5 issues (plus others) that new and young litigators face:
- Work-Life Balance – advice will include viewing work-life balance on a macro (rather than micro) scale, maintaining hobbies and scheduling life in with work;
- Time Management – panelists will address how to prioritize assignments, juggle multiple cases and deadlines along with other research projects, briefing, and discovery tasks. Advice will include when and how to ask for help, and how much work to take on;
- Relationships With Opposing Counsel And Co-Counsel – this topic includes tips for dealing with other attorneys (in both amicable and less-than-amicable circumstances);
- Gaining Experience Through Pro Bono Opportunities – panelists will discuss giving back through pro bono work while maximizing substantive experience and obtaining valuable training in court and with clients, and will also make suggestions regarding potential sources of pro bono work; and
- Networking / Legal Community Involvement – advice will cover ways for litigators to broaden their experiences by getting involved in the community through resources such as ABA programming, publishing and networking opportunities.
There will be an opportunity to ask questions during the program. You may also submit your question no later than November 2, 2010 to Mark Nichols at firstname.lastname@example.org; please reference the “Top 5 Issues Teleconference” in the subject of your email. Alternatively, you may ask your question when the operator opens the line for questions.
Please note: The ABA is not requesting CLE accreditation for this program. However, if interested, you may be able to apply for credit directly with your state bar(s). Contact your state bar for regulations and guidelines.
Mark Nichols, McCabe Rabin, PA, West Palm Beach, FL (Co-Chair of the Litigation Committee)
Ivonne Barroso, Carlton Fields, P.A., Miami, FL
Amy Drushal, Trenam Kemker, Tampa, FL (Liaison to the ABA Section of Litigation; Former Co-Chair of Litigation Committee)
Sean Haran, Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker LLP, New York, NY
Laurie Mims, Keker & Van Nest LLP, San Francisco, CA (Vice-Chair of the Litigation Committee)
Connor Sears, Shook, Hardy & Bacon, Kansas City, MO (Vice-Chair of the Litigation Committee)