Your affiliation with the American Bar Association and its Senior Lawyers Division is more than a membership. It’s an opportunity to achieve your legal charitable objectives and to ensure equal access to justice for everyone.
As the 2017 calendar year comes to a close, the timing is ideal for you to consider combining your passion for pursuing justice with your personal philanthropy. Embracing the wisdom of our profession’s most keen legal minds, the SLD serves as the advocate for experienced lawyers like you and for American families. Please consider investing financially in the ABA and SLD with a charitable contribution that will have a positive impact.
Your donation to the ABA, received through the charitable ABA Fund for Justice and Education (ABA/FJE), will help tackle such emerging legal issues as:
- The opioid addiction crisis among seniors—The opioid addiction epidemic is killing more than 90 Americans each day, and victims who are 65 years and older are a growing population. The SLD is developing programs to address this crisis.
- Disaster legal relief—The ABA is mobilizing our profession to address the immediate and future legal services that survivors of disasters need as they rebuild their lives. Pro bono attorneys have been recruited and trained to help impacted regions.
- Achieving long-term careers for women in law—Twenty-five years after law school, many women haven’t achieved the same success as men or have left the profession entirely. A new ABA initiative focuses on increasing the number of experienced women lawyers in our profession.
- Timing matters. To receive a 2017 tax benefit, all charitable donations must be received by Dec. 31, 2017. During the busy holiday mailing season, consider an online credit card donation, or mail a check early to your charity of choice.
- A tax-free charitable IRA rollover may be wise. If you’ve reached the age of 70 ½ years, you must take required minimum distributions from IRAs. You can reduce your taxable income by making a direct distribution to a charity of up to $100,000.
- You can donate appreciated stock. You can give more to a charitable organization by donating long-term appreciated securities directly instead of selling the securities and donating the cash from the sale.
We know the importance of philanthropy. That’s why we invest in the charitable programs of the ABA and the SLD. Jack Young is a longtime supporter of the ABA and is pleased to again make an annual gift this year to the SLD. Marvin Dang is an annual ABA/FJE President’s Club donor and a member of the Society of Saratoga Legacy Fund, which is the ABA’s planned giving program.
Please join us in donating to the ABA/FJE this year so that the ABA and the SLD can continue to harness the power of our legal profession to bring about a more fair and just society. Just use the envelope included with this magazine to send your donation.
Whether you designate your gift to the SLD or to another ABA project, your donation will help make a positive difference.