- Houston, TX (October 25, 2015 - as part of the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Bioethics and Humanities). The Special Committee is pleased to present at the ASBH Annual Meeting on the state of its Town Halls on Informed Consent which bring together legal and medical practitioners and academics. The presentation will discuss the evolution of the town halls, common themes, and possible next steps.
- Indianapolis, IN (September 2015, hosted by the Indiana State Bar Association)
- Chicago, IL (July 2015 at the 2015 Annual Meeting and August 2015, hosted by the American Dental Association)
- Minneapolis, MN (July 2015, hosted by the Hennepin County Bar Association)
- Seattle, WA (April 2015, hosted by the Washington State Bar Association)
- Houston, TX (February 2015 at the 2015 ABA Midyear Meeting)
- San Diego, CA (October 2014, hosted by DLA Piper)
The Special Committee has embarked on an intensive study of the issue of informed consent, through Town Halls on Informed Consent held across the country beginning in October 2014. The Town Halls, moderated by the Chair of the Special Committee, Professor Nanette Elster, feature rich discussion between local lawyers, physicians and other medical professionals, as well as academics in a roundtable format discussing informed consent from both clinical and research viewpoints. The purpose of the series of town halls (which are designed to have not more than 15-20 participants, in order to ensure a full and robust discussion by all) are to inform future discussion by the Special Committee for programming and possible policy development on the topic of informed consent. Our study of this issue is still a work in progress, and as part of the town hall process, we are committed to having the input of all of our participants on any final product we release. We will update our website when our final work products are finished. In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more about the Special Committee's town halls on informed consent, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Valerie Gutmann Koch
Elizabeth M. Yang
Board of Governors