RESOLVED, That the American Bar Association urges states, localities, and territories to develop written contingency plans to preserve the election process in the event of an emergency. Such plans should include, at a minimum:
1) designation of alternative locations and times for conducting elections;
2) provision for the back-up and preservation of election and voter data;
3) storage and testing of back-up voting equipment to be used in an emergency;
4) establishment of systems that will assure continued reliable communication between election administrators and poll workers;
5) development of effective plans for communicating with voters during emergencies; and
6) recruitment and training of poll workers in the event of an emergency.
FURTHER RESOLVED, That the American Bar Association urges federal, state, and local officials to enact measures to ensure that voters assisting in recovery efforts are able to vote by absentee ballot or otherwise, including those who travel outside their state of residence to assist in recovery.