chevron-down Created with Sketch Beta.
May 01, 2014

Questions Relatives Can Ask State/Local TANF Caseworker

The views expressed herein have not been approved by the House of Delegates or the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, and accordingly, should not be construed as representing the policy of the American Bar Association.

(1) What are the state’s income and other eligibility requirements for TANF family and child-only grants?

(2) What kind of documents do I need to apply for a TANF family or child-only grant?

(3) Does the state make exceptions to the TANF family grant’s work requirements and time limits for caregivers like me?  

  • Are there exceptions for caregivers who are over age 60?

  • Are there exceptions for caregivers who are needed in the home to care for an incapacitated/disabled household member?

  • Are there exceptions for caregivers who are providing care for young children?

  • Are there exceptions for relative caregivers in general?

  • Is there another exception that may apply to me?

(4) (If you need one), can I get an exception to the requirement to give the rights to collect child support to the state?

(5) (If you’re not related by blood, marriage or adoption), can I access a TANF family or child-only grant?

(6) Can I apply for Medicaid, child care assistance, and SNAP/food stamps at the same time I apply for TANF?

(7) Does the state offer any short term or one-time benefits to help pay for things like a crib or the rent that I owe?

(8) Are there any other services or benefits, which are funded by TANF, that I may be able to access where I live? Are there any state programs funded by TANF that provide services or supports specifically for grandfamilies?