chevron-down Created with Sketch Beta.
April 11, 2012

Domestic Violence

Where Can I Go for Help?

What should I do in a crisis situation?

In a crisis situation, call 911 or the police.

Many hospitals and social service agencies help victims of domestic violence. Look in the Yellow Pages under “domestic violence help,” “domestic violence shelters,” “human services organizations,” or “crisis intervention” or search these terms and your locality on an Internet search engine. In addition, every state has a coalition against domestic violence. These coalitions can be valuable resources for victims of domestic violence seeking services and referrals. You can also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE or 1-800-787-3224 TTD for immediate help.

It is important that you develop a safety plan to protect yourself and your children in the case of an emergency. Agencies, advocates, and shelters that assist victims of domestic violence can help you develop your safety plan. It is also important to update your safety plan as needed to address changing circumstances or new concerns.

>>What should I do in a crisis situation?
>>Where can I find a lawyer?
>>Where can I get more information about domestic violence services and resources?

Practical Law Home | Domestic Violence Home | Abuse Is Not Okay
Getting an Order of Protection | *Where Can I Go for Help?*