State/Local Laws That Affect New Business
Which businesses face more regulation?
In general, certain types of businesses face more regulation than others. A lot of this is common sense, with fields that have the capacity to do more harm facing more scrutiny. Besides health care and anything involving food preparation, a partial list of these fields includes
- construction (even home repair in some places)
- anything to do with alcohol
- anything having to do with dangerous materials, chemicals and the like
- transportation (of freight and passengers)
- anything to do with firearms.
Some are regulated by the state; some by the federal government; some by both. Consult a trade association that covers your industry. They should be able to fill you in on the regulations that apply to you.
>>What's in a Name?
>>Will registering my business name locally get me a trademark?
>>What licenses will I need?
>>How about permits?
>>Which businesses face more regulation?