Careers in the Law
Information on Legal Careers for Students of All Ages
Here's information for young people who are just getting acquainted with the legal profession, as well as useful links for those already in or considering law school.
- What Do Lawyers Do -- is an interactive web-based is designed to educate undergraduate students about how to become a lawyer. The project focuses on preparation for law school, the law school experience, and different career paths for law school graduates. (Produced in Partnership between ABA Young Lawyers Division and Texas Young Lawyers Association.
- ABA Career Counsel -- Site includes career profiles of 100+ attorneys in various practice areas and alternatives, as well as legal job search and career enhancement resources and advice.
- ABA Office of Diversity of Inclusion -- Also information on diversity in the legal professions, including a dedicated page for minority law students.
- ABA Council on Legal Education Opportunity is dedicated to diversifying the legal profession by expanding legal education opportunities for members of under-represented groups. Programs and assistance is developed for those who are already in or are considering law school.
- ABA Law Student Division provides helpful information on being in law school.
- ABA New Lawyers Division gives perspective on what starting out as an attorney is like.
- ABA Section of Legal Education site includes information on pre-law studies, law schools.
- ABA Standing Committee on Paralegals site provides information pertinent to working as a paralegal
- Choose Law: A Profession for All is an initiative by the ABA Young Lawyers Division to encourage diversity in the legal profession.
Additional Law Career Resources
Going to Law School
- The Association of American Law Schools
- Equal Justice Works
- Law School Admissions Council
- LSAC Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools
Becoming a Lawyer
Exploring Nonlawyer Careers
- The National Association of Legal Assistants
- The National Court Reporters Association
- The National Federation of Paralegal Associations
Promoting Diversity in the Profession
Learning More About Law
- Insights on Law & Society is a magazine that covers legal issues of interest in America's classrooms
- Law & the Courts is a three-part series of highly accessible booklets on the Role of the Courts (Volume 1), Court Procedures (Volume 2), and Juries (Volume 3).
- Preview of the United States Supreme Court Cases is a comprehensive source of insightful analysis on every case argued before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Constitutional Rights Foundation
- National Constitiution Center
- Street Law