Justice Stephen Breyer
Supreme Court of the United States
- Combine the cinnamon, cloves, allspice and pepper corns in a coffee grinder or mortar and turn them into powder.
- Sauté the meat in oil until browned on all sides (ten minutes or so). Then put in slow cooker (or oven casserole).
- Sauté onion in the oil until browned; add celery carrots and garlic and sauté a few minutes more; then add spice mixture and sauté for another minute or two; then add the wine and cook until wine reduce by about a third; then add the tomatoes (all the while scrape up any bits stuck to bottom so they become part of the sauce) Add salt.
- Pour over meat in slow cooker (or oven dish) and cook on low for six to eight hours.
- Serve over polenta and garnish with parsley.
Good with Northern Italian red wine.