Articles on Technology, Marketing and Ethics
- Rethinking Lawyer Advertising Rules,
Mark Tuft, The Professional Lawyer, Vol. 23, #3 (2016)
- Panel issues guidance on best-lawyer advertising,
David L. Hudson, Jr., ABA Journal (Aug. 1, 2016)
- 'Super lawyers' and 'rising stars' are warned about accolade advertising, Debra Cassens Weiss, ABA Journal (May 23, 2016)
- Florida rules prohibiting uncertified lawyers from advertising as specialists are struck down,
David L. Hudson, Jr., ABA Journal (Feb. 1, 2016)
- Bankruptcy lawyer suspended for 'screwing banks' ads,
Debra Cassens Weiss, ABA Journal (Jan. 13, 2016)
- Lawyer is reprimanded for Google ads linked to opposing lawyers in timeshare litigation,
Debra Cassens Weiss, ABA Journal (Oct. 1, 2015)
- Law firms in Florida can send text-message ads to prospective clients, state bar says, Martha Neil, ABA Journal (Sept. 2, 2015)
Lawyer Advertising (or Incentivising): Offering Discounts or Coupons to Prospective Clients (April 2008)
Lawyer Advertising and the Dignity of the Profession, Rodney A. Smolla, 59 Arkansas Law Review 437 (2006)
Clashes of Class and Cash: Battles from the 150 Years War to Govern Client Development, William Hornsby, Arizona State Law Journal 255 (Summer 2005)
The Ethics of Attorney Advertising: The Effects of Different State Regulatory Regimes, Emily Olson, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics 1055 (Summer 2005)
The Need for Uniformity: Fifty Separate Voices Lead to Disunion in Attorney Internet Advertising, Nia Marie Monroe, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics 1005 (Summer 2005)
A Quagmire of Internet Ethics Law and the ABA Guidelines for Legal Website Providers, Margaret Hensler Nicholls, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics 1021 (Summer 2005)
Untangling the Wicked Web: The Marketing of Legal Services on the Internet and the Model Rules, Christopher Hurld, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics 827 (Summer 2004)
Ethics and the Internet, J. T. Westermeier, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics 267 (Winter 2004)
Ethics: Managing Today’s New Internet Risks, James M. McCauley, Georgetown University Law Center Continuing Legal Education 16th Advanced Computer and Internet Law Institute 1 (March 6-7, 2003)
Examination of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct Pertaining to the Marketing of Legal Services in Cyberspace, Matthew T. Rollins, John Marshall Journal of Computer and Information Law 113 (Fall 2003)
Zacharias, What Lawyers Do When Nobody's Watching: Legal Advertising as a Case Study of the Impact of Underenforced Professional Rules, Vol. 87, No. 3 Iowa Law Review 971 (March 2002)
A Lawyer's Guide for Internet Marketing: Navigating Ethical Requirements for Advertising and Communicating Online, by David M. Adler, CBA Record, (October 2002)
Vanessa S. Browne-Barbour, Lawyer and Law Firm Web Pages as Advertising: Proposed Guidelines, 28 Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal 275 (2002).
Michael H. Hoeflich, Legal Services and Advertising in Cyberspace, 70-MAY Journal of the Kansas Bar Association 20 (May 2001)
Joel Michael Schwarz, Practicing Law Over the Internet: Sometimes Practice Doesn't Make Perfect, 14 Harvard Journal of Law and Technology 657 (Spring 2001).
Kirkey, Legal Ethics in Cyberspace: Keeping Lawyers and Their Computers Out of Trouble, 18 T.M. Cooley L. Rev. 37 (2001)
Attorney Liability for Internet Related Activity, Jett Hanna, Texas Lawyers' Insurance Exchange 2000, April 4, 2000.
How do Advertising Rules Apply to Lawyers on the 'Net?, by Joan C. Rogers, ABA/BNA Lawyers Manual on Professional Conduct, Feb. 21, 1996.
Mark Hankins, Ambulance Chasers on the Internet: Regulation of Attorney Web Pages, 1 J. Tech. L. & Pol'y 3 (1996).
DeGraw & Burton, Lawyer Discipline and "Disclosure Advertising": Towards a New Ethos, Vol. 72, No. 2 North Carolina Law Review 351 (January 1994)
- Arkansas: Judith Kilpatrick, Arkansas' Amended Advertising Rules, Solicitation, and the Internet, 2000 Arkansas Law Notes 39 (2000).
- Kentucky: How to Avoid Losing your License on the Information Superhighway: Ethical Issues Raised by the Use of the Internet in the Practice of Law, by Kurt Metzmeier and Shaun Esposito, The Kentucky Bar Association Bench & Bar, Spring 1998.
- Louisiana: Louisiana Lawyers on the World Wide Web, by Judy Perry Martinez, Louisiana Bar Journal, Aug. 1999.
- Michigan: Lawyer Advertising: Do's and Don'ts, by Steven A. Mitchell, Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Journal, Winter 1999.
- Oklahoma: Attorney Advertising in Cyberspace, by Jim Calloway and Dan Murdock, Oklahoma Bar Journal, July 18, 1998.
- Washington: The Practical and Ethical Considerations of Internet Advertising: Lawyer Advertising on the Internet, by Barrie Althoff, WSBA Chief Disciplinary Counsel, Washington State Bar News, December 1999.
- Wisconsin: Venturing out onto the World Wide Web: Ethics Implications for Lawyers, by Dean R. Deitrich in counsulation with the State Bar of Wisconsin Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, Wisconsin Lawyer, Feb. 1999.