Cases on Lawyer Advertising
In 1995, the Commission on Advertising published the seminal book Lawyer Advertising at the Crossroads. Chapter II examines the constitutional dimensions of lawyer advertising and solicitation. Cases examining commercial speech and legal services marketing include the following:
United States Supreme Court Cases
- Bates v. State Bar of Arizona
- Ohralik v. Ohio State Bar Association
- In re Primus
- Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp. v. Public Service Commission of New York
- Zauderer v. Office of Disciplinary Counsel
- Shapero v. Kentucky Bar Assoc.
- Peel v. ARDC of Illinois
- Edenfield v. Fane
- Ibanez v. Florida Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation
- The Florida Bar v. Went For It, Inc.
- LAPD v. United Reporting Publishing Corp.
State Supreme Court Cases
- Crowe v. Tull, 126 P.3d 196 (Colo. 2006). ( Colorado Consumer Protection Act held to apply to allegedly deceptive trade practices by attorneys.)