Succession planning is essential to every lawyer’s practice, proactively protecting clients and colleagues in the event of the lawyer’s disability or death.
As highlighted in the resources below, recommended items for an effective succession plan completed in conformity with applicable rules include, but are not limited to:
- Written instructions concerning how and where client information is stored, including bank and other account details (e.g., operating and trust account information );
- Information concerning disposition of closed client files, information about law office equipment leases or other contracts;
- Information regarding payment of current liabilities;
- Instructions to gain access to computer and voicemail passwords; and
- Information detailing how the successor will be compensated.
RULES & POLICIES
REPORTS & OTHER RESOURCES