AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
COMMISSION ON EVALUATION OF
THE RULES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
1. If you are interested in testifying, please return the registration form for the appropriate meeting to Susan Campbell, ABA Center for Professional Responsibility, 541 N. Fairbanks, 14th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611, 312-988-5328, fax: 312-988-5491, firstname.lastname@example.org. The registration deadline for the June hearing is Monday, May 15. The registration deadline for the July hearing is Thursday, June 15.
2. Registrants should provide written testimony by the registration deadline. Please submit your testimony on a computer disk or by e-mail. Written testimony will be read by Commission members prior to the hearing so that they will be able to prepare questions. Priority in speaking will be given to those who provide written material prior to the hearing.
3. Speakers should be prepared to speak for two to three minutes and then take questions from the Commission. Testimony may focus on any issues within the scope of the Commission's purpose. Specific, detailed statements on how the current Rules should be changed or on suggested new Rules are more useful to the Commission than general observations. Please include the proposed text of any suggested changes to the Rules.
4. There may not be enough time to accommodate all who wish to testify. Those registering on-site will be able to speak as time permits.
5. The Commission also welcomes written material from those who will not be able to testify in person.
6. Please note that by submitting any original work, you are granting permission to the American Bar Association to use it in whole or in part in any writing that may result from the work of the Commission. The ABA is not responsible for materials lost in shipment, and materials will not be returned. Do not send original documents you may need in the future.
7. The Commission is currently circulating drafts of Rules 1.1, 1.3 - 1.10, 1.13 -1.18, 2.1, 2.2, 3.2, 3.6, 4.1 - 4.4, 5.1 - 5.3, 5.6, 6.2, 6.4, 7.1 - 7.5 and 8.1 - 8.4 for public comment. Copies of the drafts and memos explaining the changes are available at the Commission's website, www.abanet.org/cpr/ethics2k.html, or from Sue Campbell at the address above.