Find state specialization plans and ABA-accredited certification programs on our Certification page.
- A current listing of lawyer specialty certification programs sources offered to lawyers in various parts of the country.
- Standards for Specialty Certification Programs for Lawyers
- Governing Rules for Accreditation
While attorneys may be certified by state or private certification program, each state has specific rules governing how lawyers may communicate their certification. Be sure to check each state’s rules and contact the state representatives for more information regarding publicizing specialization certifications.
Legal Specialty Groups
Interested in starting a program and obtaining accreditation? Go to our Accreditation page.
- A Concise Guide to Lawyer Specialization Certification
- Lawyer Specialty Certification by the Numbers
- Click here for more publications
Decisions and Analysis
- History of Attorney Specialization in Indiana
- Peel v. Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission, 496 U.S. 91 (1990)
- Hayes v. New York Attorney Grievance Committee (2d. Cir., March 5, 2012)
- Searcy v. The Florida Bar (N.D. Fla., September 30, 2015)
- Thomas Sartwelle, Your Doctor is Board Certified. Is Your Lawyer? The Professional Lawyer, vol. 20, no. 4 (2011).
- Gary McNeil, Ethical Considerations in Marketing and Advertising Specialization