The Section, through the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, seeks to develop a pool of diverse speakers who are (1) leaders recognized in various areas of practice; (2) help to build the business case for diversity and (3) create a resource for all section members seeking to expand their speaking opportunities in their area of practice and for all section committees seeking to include diverse speakers.
The Directory will be available through the Leadership Portal for all section leaders. If you would like to volunteer to be considered as a speaker please sign up by completing the Speaker Information form.
The ABA Section of Litigation is deeply committed to diversity. We strive not only to represent the best in legal talent from all backgrounds, but also to develop and promote an ever-more inclusive pool of leaders at all levels of the Section. Our diversity is vital to providing the highest quality of leadership in the law in our firms, the bar, and the community.
We believe that from a richer range of experience emerge fresher perspectives, enhanced collaboration, and superior lawyering. Through diversity and inclusion, we become better as a section, which benefits not only our clients and the community but also the world. The ABA Section of Litigation is a change agent of diversity and inclusion.
The Section’s efforts are led by its Diversity and Inclusion Committee—composed of a diverse set of strong Section leaders who represent the broadest form of bar involvement. We as a section strive to ensure that traditionally underrepresented groups work at every level of the Section and to advance our position as a leader in the ABA-wide effort to build a legal community that reflects the wider communities we serve.
Recognizing that diversity enriches us as individuals and as a profession, the Diversity and Inclusion Committee is committed to:
- setting Section-wide expectations for an inclusive culture;
- supporting inclusion and retention efforts that focus on traditionally underrepresented groups;
- learning from and applying best practices of other institutions and industries;
- measuring the Section’s successes and shortcomings, consistently assessing the committee’s own impact;
- challenging the status quo when necessary; and
- communicating the committee’s mission, the action it requires, and the success it promises.
The Section of Litigation recognizes that building a supportive, inclusive internal community of lawyers where every individual in the Section is given the opportunity to succeed is only the first step.
If you have any comments or questions on Section diversity initiatives please don’t hesitate to contact Rachel Kunz, Committees Manager.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee Co-Chairs
- Sidney Butcher
- Clark Cooper
- Eileen Letts
- Lorelie Masters
- Chaka Patterson
- Rachel Pereira
- Anna Torres
- Ghenete Wright Muir
Section Diversity Quick Facts
Section of Litigation Diversity Links
- Diverse Leaders Academy
- Task Force on Implicit Bias
- Minority Trial Lawyer
- LGBT Litigator
- The Woman Advocate
- Section of Litigation Diversity Plan |
- Diversity Presentation (Fall 2008 Meeting) |
- Diversity Presentation (Fall 2007 Meeting) |
ABA Diversity Links
- ABA Coalition for Racial and Ethnic Justice
- ABA Center for Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- ABA Commission on Disability Rights
- ABA Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- ABA Commission on Racial and Ethnic Justice
- ABA Council for Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipeline
- ABA Commission on Women in the Profession