The 2019-2020 application period is now closed. All applicants will be notified by mid-May.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Young Lawyer Leadership Program (YLLP) provides opportunities for young lawyers to become actively involved in the Section's meetings, committees, and activities. YLLP representatives will become members of a Section committee or task force, engage in substantive work, and be paired with a mentor from the Section’s experienced leaders. In addition, YLLP representatives are expected to attend two leadership meetings and the Section’s Annual Conference during each year of the program. Maximum reimbursement is $2,000 per year per individual to attend meetings.*
2019–2020 meeting details are as follows:
- Fall Leadership Meeting – Scottsdale, AZ, October 3–5, 2019
- Winter Leadership Meeting – Miami Beach, FL, January 16–18, 2020
- Section Annual Conference – Washington, D.C., May 6–8, 2020 (Registration fee waived; no reimbursement for this meeting)
1. All candidates must be current members of the ABA in practice for less than five years or under the age of 35 as of September 1 of the year in which they begin the program. Candidates who hold an elected position in the ABA Young Lawyers Division shall be eligible to apply up to and including the final year of their term of elected office.
2. All candidates must demonstrate a record of accomplishment of significant leadership involvement in the Young Lawyers Division, prior participation in the Section of Litigation’s meetings, programs, and subcommittees, or other evidence of commitment to the Section’s work.
Each candidate must submit the following information:
- A complete application form;
- A cover letter describing how you meet the application criteria;
- A current resume; and
- Three letters of recommendation.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
The program will select four (4) members and fund their expenses for two consecutive years, assuming active participation by the participant in Section activities.
September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2021
The Young Lawyer Leadership Program Committee Co-Chairs, Chair-Elect, and Section Committees Manager will oversee the process by which applicants are selected. This program will focus on cultivating and identifying lawyers with leadership potential.
Applicants will be notified no later than July 31, 2019.
Contact Heather Nichols if you have any questions.
* Reimbursement includes lowest available coach airfare, a per diem toward lodging, and ground transportation. The Section does not reimburse individuals who are entitled to reimbursement from their firms, employers, or a third party.