At the third annual Women, Influence & Power in Law event held in Washington, D.C., the opening panel of power-hitters, Deborah Ben-Canaan, the legal recruiting partner for Major, Lindsey & Africa; Rebecca Bortolotti, VP and Chief Technology Counsel at ConAgra Foods; and Amanda Wait, partner at Hunton & Williams, shared the following five networking tips:
1. Look at every encounter in your life as a networking opportunity, and never turn down an introduction.
2. Rethink "networking" as "relationship building" that can later develop into more fruitful connections.
3. Stay authentic to yourself because people will see through you if you're fake, and no one wants a fake lawyer.
4. Present yourself professionally and confidently. And keep a few elevator pitches in your pocket.
5. E-networking matters—update your LinkedIn profile, and google yourself so you are aware of your own online presence.
The article discussing these networking tips was authored by Rich Steeves for Inside Counsel.