The documents below are written materials from programs that have been sponsored by the Mass Torts Litigation Committee. Please note: You must be a Section of Litgation member and be logged in to access the files.
2019 Joint CLE (January 26–27, 2019, Laguna Beach, CA)
2017 Joint CLE (January 26–27, 2017, Squaw Valley, CA)
- » Ethics Session: Sanctions v. Inside & Outside Counsel
- » Managing Insurance Coverage Issues in the Defense and Resolution of New and Emerging Large-Scale Environmental, Mass Torts and Products Liability Cases
- » Mass Torts Breakout Session I: Emerging Trends in Mass Torts: What’s Next?!?
- » Plenary Session: The Current Legal Landscape for “Discovery on Discovery”
- » Mass Torts Breakout Session II -- Our Food at Risk: Using the Food Safety & Modernization Act to Detect Economic Adulteration
22nd Annual National Institute on Aviation Litigation (June 1, 2016, New York City, NY)
3rd Annual Western Regional CLE Program on Class Actions and Mass Torts (May 27, 2016, San Francisco, CA)
- » Takeaways on Forum Non Conveniens and Related Issues in Multi-District Aviation Disaster Litigation after Air France 447
2016 Committee Joint CLE Seminar (January 21–23, 2016, Park City, UT)
- » The "Business" of Mass Torts Litigation
- » How to Handle the After-Effects of Daubert Rulings: How do you Revamp Your Case Following the Exclusion or Limitation of Your Expert Witness?
- » Drone On! Emerging Legal Issues for Commercial Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs): Will You and Your Clients Be Ready for the Invasion of American Airspace?
- » The Model Rules Meet the 2015 Amendments to the Civil Rules: New Challenges or Business as Usual?
2015 Section Annual Conference (April 15–17, 2015, New Orleans, LA)
- » Judicial Quasi-Class Actions—Managing MDL and Mass Tort Litigation through Judicial Control over the Appointment of Lead Counsel, Attorneys' Fees, & Cost-Shifting
2015 Committee Joint CLE Seminar (January 29–30, 2015, Snowmass, CO)
- » Preemption Update: Local Attempts to Preempt State Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing
- » Recent Developments and Case Updates in Food Labeling Class Actions and Advertising Litigation
2014 Committee Joint CLE Seminar (January 30–February 1, 2014, Avon, CO)
Current Issues in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation (Nov. 16, 2012, Natick, MA)
- » Brochure
- » Fraud and Consumer Protection: Plaintiff and Defense Strategies
- » Whose Witness Is It Anyway?
- » Biopharmaceuticals and Products Liability Litigation
- » Hot Topics and Recent Developments in Medical Device Regulation and Enforcement
- » Pre-Litigation Risk Assessments and the Shrinking Self-Critical Analysis Privilege
2012 National Institute on Aviation Litigation (June 7, 2012)
- » Current Developments in Aviation and Insurance Law
- » Ethical Considerations Commonly Associated with Aviation Accidents
- » The Current Status of the Federal Aviation Act's Immunity Provision Found in Section 44112: A Case Study of Vreeland v. Ferrer
- » Federal Preemption of Claims Against Aircraft Owners, Lessors, and Secured Parties: A Matter of Control or Location?
- » Applying DOHSA to Aviation Accidents: More Unsettled Waters
- » Opening Statements: General Rules and Guidelines
- » Opening Statements and Closing Arguments in Aviation Cases
- » A Primer on ATC Expert Witnesses
- » Use of Expert Witnesses in Aviation Cases
- » Fundamental Source Materials For Assessing Air Traffic Control Negligence
- » Order 7110.65 R
- » Aeronautical Information Manual
- » Direct Examination—Plaintiff's Perspective
- » Cross-Examination of the Aviation Plaintiff's Expert Economist
- » Analysis of Economic Loss in the Matter of Estate of Peggy Olsen v. United States of America, et al.
- » Presentation Outline
- » Effective Appellate Advocacy: A General Overview of Post-Trial and Appellate Issues and Procedures
- » Overview
- » Analysis of Aircraft Accident: N525CX / N355RS Block Island, RI / Nantucket Island, MA July 2, 2010
- » ATC Transcript
- » Statement of Patrick Pilote
AVIATION UPDATE: CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS IN AVIATION AND INSURANCE LAW
ETHICS—MEETING THE CLIENT
PRE-TRIAL MOTION DEMONSTRATION: PRE-EMPTION
PRE-TRIAL MOTION DEMONSTRATION: ADMIRALTY—GENERAL MOTORS V. DOHSA
OPENING STATEMENTS—NO SECOND CHANCES: HOW TO MAKE YOUR BEST FIRST IMPRESSION WITH A SKEPTICAL JURY
LIABILITY EXPERTS—NAVIGATING THE COMPLEX WORLD OF AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL EXPERT
PLAINTIFF AND DAMAGES EXPERT—THE COMPLEX PATH TO A FAIR AND REASONABLE DAMAGES AWARD
CLOSING ARGUMENTS—LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU: THE FINER POINTS OF SUMMATION
LIVE ADVISORY JURY DELIBERATION: WILL THE WINNERS PLEASE STAND UP ... BUT NOT SO FAST
ADDENDUM: FACT PATTERN—MID-AIR CRASH OVER THE ATLANTIC
2012 Committee Joint CLE Seminar (January 19–21, 2012)
- » Tales From the Abyss: What Does It Take To Get Disbarred These Days?
- » In-House Counsel Panel: Are Alternative Fee Arrangement (AFAS) the New Standard for Law Firms?
- » Fewer, Cheaper, Better: The Evolution of Buying Strategy for GCs
- » General Counsel: Using Law Firm Web Sites
- » How General Counsel Evaluates and Hires Law Firms
- » Panelists Tackle the Perennial Question: What do General Counsel Want?
- » In-House Counsel Panel: The Substantive and Practical Challenges Faced by Today's In-House Counsel
- » State Attorneys General: The People’s Champion
- » Riding the Next Wave of Toxic Tort Litigation
- » The Endangered Species Act – An Overview
- » Update on the Polar Bear – Endangered Species Act Multidistrict Litigation
- » The Endangered Species Act and Its Impact on Topical Environmental Issues
- » Mastering Business Development: The Neuroscience of Converting a Lead into a Client
- » Social Media for Lawyers
- » Nine Marketing Ideas That Can be Ethically Implemented
- » Websites that May Provide Business Leads and a List of Available Business Development Articles
- » You Are Only Young Once: Business Development for the Associate Lawyer
- » You Are Only Young Once: A Multi-Prong Approcah to Business Development (Seminar Worksheet)
- » A View from the Panel – Part of the Solution (The Evolution of Multidistrict Litigation)
- » Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation: “Reflections on the Panel’s Work”
- » Managing Multidistrict Litigation in Products Liability Cases – A Pocket Guide for Transferee Judges
- » Ten Steps to Better To a Better Management: A Guide for Multidistrict Litigation Transferee Judges
- » Recent Issues Arising in Multidistrict Litigation Bellwether Trials
- » Developments in Selection and Trial of Bellwether Cases
- » Does Daubert Apply at Class Certification? Eighth Circuit Tries to Find Middle Ground
- » In re Zurn Pex Plumbing Prod. Liab. Litig., No. 10-2267 (8th Cir. July 6, 2011)
- » Products Liability 2011: Year in Review
- » The Current State of the Preemption Defense: Dead or Alive?
2011 Aviation Litigation CLE Seminar (June 2, 2011)
- » Recent Developments in Aviation Law
- » Best Practices Under the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act of 1996
- » The Latest Trends and Tactics in Prosecuting and Defending Foreign Mass Accident Litigation
- » Navigating Through Electronic Discovery
- » Social Media: What Is it and How Is it Relevant to Aviation Litigation?
- » Deposing Experts: What's New from the Plaintiff's Perspective
- » Challenges in Aviation Litigation: Recent Activity in American Court Seeking Recovery Based on European Law
2010 Aviation Litigation CLE Seminar – Disaster in the Alps!
(New York City Bar Association | New York, NY)
Aviation Trial Demonstrations & Cutting Edge Issues CLE Seminar
(New York, NY)
- » Jury Selection
- » Controlling the Runaway Witness
- » Sublimits or Substandard?
- » Aviation Policy Sublimits: Challenges to the Insured and Insurer and the Possibility of Exceeding the Limits
- » VLJs in the National Airspace System
- » VLJs: Very Light Jets or Virtual Labyrinthine Jam? Potential Effects on Litigation from a Justice Department Lawyer's Perspective
- » Recent Developments in Aviation Law 2007-2008
- » Persuasion After the Evidence: Closing Arguments in Aviation Litigation
- » An Airline Passengers' Bill of Rights: Along with the Rights to Free Speech, Bearing Arms, et. al., Would the Founders Have Guaranteed the American Air Traveling Public a Right to Lavatory Service, Snack Mix, and In-Cabin Entertainment?
- » JetBlue Airways' Customer Bill of Rights (October 2007)
- » Hanni v. American Airlines, Inc. & Does 1, Affidavit
- » Hanni's Opening Speech
- » How Lawyers' Ethical Obligations are Affected by E-Discovery Rules
- » The Movies: Ethical Issues & Solutions