CHAIR: David F. Bienvenu
Pro Bono Committee
Coordinating a national mobilization of pro bono resources to address legal needs arising from the pandemic.
- The Southeastern Council of Foundations hosted a webinar entitled, “Disaster Philanthropy in the Time of COVID-19,” to share a first look at the new report from the Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) and Candid, that examines philanthropic awards for the coronavirus pandemic from foundations, corporations, grantmaking public charities and high-net-worth individuals from around the globe. Panelists explored the data and discussed how they are supporting communities during the pandemic while also managing other disasters.
- Pro Bono Net, the Immigration Advocates Network and partners have published a guide for nonprofit pro bono innovation, entitled "Remote Legal Support Guide: A Best Practices Manual for Nonprofit and Pro Bono Innovation".
- Big law firms are joining with the Lawyers for Good Government Foundation to help small businesses access government support.
- The ABA Center for Pro Bono has resources related to pro bono organizations and management during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ABA Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic where qualifying users post their civil legal questions to their state’s website.
- Amid COVID-19, the ABA’s Young Lawyers Division’s Disaster Legal Services Program and Paladin launch pro bono portal to provide free legal services.
- Practicing Law Institute’s (PLI) Pursuing Justice: The Pro Bono Files podcast provides a behind-the-scenes exploration of pro bono and public interest legal work.
- Under NJ Court Order, pro bono work by out-of-state counsel, including in-house counsel, is another measure to minimize disruption and allow access to the state’s court and legal system during the health crisis.
- Dallas Eviction 2020 Project provides pro bono legal help if you get an eviction notice in Dallas, TX.