chevron-down Created with Sketch Beta.
Directory of Programs


Military Legal Assistance Offices

Visit the U.S. Armed Forces Legal Assistance Locator to locate the nearest military legal assistance office (click on "Advanced" and "Accept"). Servicemembers and their families may access free legal assistance at these offices. See our Working with a Lawyer publication for more details on eligibility.

Legal Aid and Pro Bono Programs

Visit to locate programs that provide free civil legal assistance. These organizations may or may not have military-specific services. Contact these programs for more details on eligibility.

Lawyer Referral Programs

Visit the Lawyer Referral Directory to locate programs that can connect you to a lawyer who charges for legal services. In the search box, type your state, county, or city to find local programs. Some attorneys with these programs, however, may offer discounted initial consultations or may charge reduced fees based on your income. Contact these programs for more information.

Military/Veteran Specific Programs

If programs are listed below, they are designed to assist military members and/or veterans with legal matters. See the specific details and contact these programs for more information. Also visit nationwide programs.

ABA Free Legal Answers
If you can't afford a lawyer, ABA Free Legal Answers may be able to help. For most civil (non-criminal) legal questions, if your state participates, click on "Select the state where you live" and click on your state to ask a question.
For VA benefits, discharge upgrades, or other veteran-related legal questions: Choose "ABA Federal" in the "Select the state where you live" dropdown menu to ask a discharge upgrade or VA-related question, and receive an answer from an attorney.

Oregon State Bar
PO Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281-1935
(503) 684-3763 (Portland metro area)
(800) 452-7636 (toll-free elsewhere in Oregon)
Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5:00 pm
Visit Oregon State Bar Website
The Oregon State Bar's Military Assistance Panel provides legal assistance on the Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and a number of areas of law, including family law, estate planning, bankruptcy, real estate, landlord/tenant, employment law and more. Trained volunteers provide at least one hour of advice and counseling to a client free of charge. It is up to the lawyer and client to decide whether to continue the lawyer/client relationship beyond the pro bono consultation. Additional services depend on the type of legal matter and attorney availability. Services are available for actively deployed military personnel from Oregon and their Oregon-based dependents. To participate, servicemembers – 1) Contact the Oregon Army National Guard at (971) 355-3455 for an authorization military reference or "MR" number; and then, 2) Contact the Oregon State Bar's Military Assistance Panel Program at (503) 684-3763 for a referral to a participating lawyer; and then, 3) Contact the participating lawyer.