Volunteering with the ABA Veterans Claims Assistance Network (VCAN)
Many of our nation's veterans who have been wounded and disabled as a result of their military service must wait too long to receive the disability compensation benefits they have earned and deserve. You, as a lawyer, can volunteer to help.
The ABA Veterans Claims Assistance Network (VCAN) provides a unique, limited-scope pro bono volunteer opportunity for lawyers to help veterans with the preparation and completion of initial claims for disability compensation benefits, resulting in their claims receiving expedited review by the VA.
To learn more about how VCAN works, please visit our FAQ Page.
When you register to join our roster at the link below, you may indicate any additional areas of law beyond VA benefits matters for which you may also like to assist military personnel. Join our roster today!
Take 4 simple steps to volunteer:
- Register with VCAN.
- Apply for and receive VA accreditation.
- Complete the ABA VCAN VA Benefits Claim Training Webinar CLE.
- Read, sign, and submit to VCAN the ABA VCAN Volunteer Attorney Accreditation, Training, and Readiness Pledge Form.
We will confirm with you via email that we have received your pledge form. After that, you will be ready to start taking VCAN cases.
To participate with ABA VCAN, you must be currently VA accredited and you must complete one ABA VCAN CLE training. Complete a free VCAN training after you receive initial VA accreditation. Viewing or attending one of the VCAN CLE trainings will qualify for the 3-hour CLE requirement for VA accreditation.
Please visit the CLE training page for further information.
Documents and Resources for Volunteers
- ABA VCAN Volunteer Checklist
- ABA VCAN Volunteer Attorney: Accreditation, Training, and Readiness Pledge Form
- ABA VCAN Case Closure Letter
- Sample Termination of Representation Letter
VA Forms and Links:
- VA Form 21a (Application for VA Accreditation)
- VA Form 21-22a (Appointment of Individual Claimant’s Representative)
- VA Form 21-0966 (Intent to File)
- VA's Stakeholder Enterprise Portal (SEP)
- Sample Written Certification to the VA of CLE Completion