Stating that AI may be “the most consequential technology of our time,” Arati Prabhakar, Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, outlined the key components of the Executive Order on AI, issued on October 30, 2023.
The EO directs action by private sector entities and governments on eight broad issues:
- New standards for AI safety and security;
- Protecting Americans’ privacy;
- Advancing equity and civil rights;
- Standing up for consumers, patients and students;
- Supporting workers;
- Promoting innovation and competition;
- Advancing American leadership abroad; and
- Ensuring responsible and effective government use of AI.
The White House stated “[w]ith this Executive Order, the President directs the most sweeping actions ever taken to protect Americans from the potential risks of AI systems…”
The Executive Order can be found here.