Your interest in policy, content creation, and keeping records are going to set you apart in this role.
You will be working with a few different groups within the ABA during your term like the Division’s editorial boards to help create the Student Lawyer blog, the ABA House of Delegates to develop and vote on policy, and of course, the members who you will engage with directly through forms of communication like social media and the podcast among others.
- Time commitment: 10-15 hours weekly.
- Election Method: Elected in March by an electronic vote of the Assembly.
- Officer-Elect Period: Serves immediately upon election in a non-voting, Officer-Elect capacity on the Council through the conclusion of the next ABA Annual Meeting in August.
- Term: Assumes the official one-year term starting at the next Annual Meeting through the following Annual Meeting (August to August).
- Membership Level: Must be a Premium Law Student Division member.
Law Student Division Delegate of Communication’s responsibilities include:
- Liaise between the Division and the Association staff with respect to the retention and maintenance of books, records, papers, documents, and information in any form, and other property pertaining to the work of the Division.
- Keep record of the proceedings of all meetings of the membership of the Division, the Assembly, the Division Council, and the presidents of the student bar associations, and make records accessible to membership.
- Serve on editorial board of the Student Lawyer magazine to review copy and provide comment.
- Host or help to choose the host of the ABA Law Student Podcast with Legal Talk Network Producers and Chair.
- Appoint and oversee in consultation with the Division staff and the Chair any nonvoting, non-traveling LSD communications & publications appointees such as Student Lawyer Editor and any specialized communications positions created by the Chair.
- Represent the Division in the Association House of Delegates.
- Inform the Division Council of actions taken by senior bar entities.
- Work with the Chair to execute the Division’s legislative agenda.
- Oversee and communicate regularly with the Council, liaisons to ABA entities, and Assembly.
- Solicit the opinion of the Division Council and Assembly on matters subject to vote in the House of Delegates and abide by instructions of the Assembly regarding such matters.
- Keep the Assembly informed of votes and activities on behalf of the Division.
- Keep the membership of the Division informed of matters of the Association pertaining to law students.
- Follow and understand the current Law Student Division Bylaws.