Tom Burgis is an award-winning investigative reporter. Based in London after years as a foreign correspondent in South America and Africa, he is a long-standing member of the Financial Times’ investigations team. He has exposed major corruption scandals, covered terrorist attacks, coups and forgotten conflicts, and traced dirty money from the Kremlin to Washington. His journalism has won awards in the US and Asia and he has twice been shortlisted at the British Press Awards, the British Journalism Awards and the European Press Prize.
This episode references:
- Kleptopia: How Dirty Money is Conquering the World
- Suspicious Activity Reports (SAR)
- FINCen Geographic Targeting Order (GTO), Reissued November 4, 2020
- “Tower of Secrets: The Russian Money Behind a Donald Trump Skyscraper” Financial Times, July 11, 2018
- 2021 National Defense Authorization Act