Professor William Banks is the Chair of the ABA Standing Committee on Law and National Security Advisory Committee and a Distinguished Professor and Emeritus Professor at the Syracuse University College of Law and the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. He is the author of several constitutional, national security, and counterterrorism law textbooks and the founder of the Syracuse Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism (now the Syracuse Institute of Security Policy and Law).
Mary DeRosa is a Professor from Practice and the Co-Director of the Global Law Scholars Program at Georgetown University Law Center. She served as Deputy Assistant and Deputy Counsel to the President, National Security Council Legal Adviser, and as Alternate Representative of the United States to the UN General Assembly. She aso seved as Chief Counsel for National Security for the Senate Judiciary Committee and Special Counsel to the General Counsel at the Department of Defense. She is the Chair of the Advisory Committee to the Standing Committee.
Harvey Rishikof is a Visiting Professor at Temple University Beasley School of Law and the Director of Policy and Cyber Security Research at the University of Maryland Applied Research Laboratory For Intelligence and Security, and the Senior Counselor to the ABA Standing Committee on Law and National Security.
This episode references:
- National Security: Emerging Critical Issues CLE Webinar Series
- The 25th Amendment
- Articles of Impeachment introduced in the House
- Mayor Bowser’s Letter to U.S. Department of Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad Wolf Regarding Inauguration Preparations
- 18 USC § 2384, Seditious conspiracy
- 18 USC § 2381, Treason
- 18 USC § 2383, Rebellion or insurrection
- 52 USC § 20511
- 40 USC § 5104, Unlawful activities [in the United States Capitol Buildings and Grounds]
- "If Trump pardons himself now, he’ll be walking into a trap" Asha Rangappa, Washington Post, January 8, 2021
- FBI Statement Before the House Oversight and Reform Committee. "Confronting White Supremacy" June 4, 2019
- "Hate Crimes in U.S. Rose to Highest Level in More Than a Decade in 2019" New York Times, November 16, 2020
- "Pelosi asks Joint Chiefs about preventing Trump from launching nukes" Politico, January 8, 2021
- "Amazon Will Suspend Hosting For Pro-Trump Social Network Parler" Buzzfeed News, January 9, 2021
- "From ‘beautiful’ to ‘disgraceful’: World reacts to Capitol riots" Atlanta Journal-Constitution, January 7, 2021
- "Kim Jong Un Calls U.S. North Korea's 'Biggest Enemy,' Vows To Advance Nuclear Arsenal" NPR, January 9, 2021
- Past NSLT podcasts on: