John Sopko is the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction. Prior to this role he was a partner at Akin Gump, and he previously served as Chief Counsel for Oversight and Investigations for the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, General Counsel and Chief Oversight Counsel for the House Select Committee on Homeland Security and as staff on the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations.
This episode references:
- SIGAR's 2019 High Risk List
- Interactive High Risk List
- SIGAR's April 30, 2020 Quarterly Report to Congress
- Learning Lessons: Capturing and Institutionalizing Lessons from Complex Stabilization Efforts
- "Boondoggle HQ: The $25 Million Building in Afghanistan Nobody Needed" Pro Publica, May 20, 2015.
- Cleveland.Com "John Sopko fought the Mafia in Cleveland and now he's fighting fraud and corruption in Afghanistan", updated January 12, 2019