Jack Beard is an Associate Professor of Law and the Co-Director of the Space, Cyber, and Telecom Law Program at the University of Nebraska College of Law. He served as Associate Deputy General Counsel of the Department of Defense for International Affairs, as a senior lawyer on several U.S. delegations negotiating international agreements on a wide-range of U.S. military operations, and as Chief of the International Law Section of the JAG.
Dale Stephens is a Professor at Adelaide Law School and a Captain in the Royal Australian Navy Reserve. He has served in the Australian Defence Force, including Fleet Legal Officer, Command Legal Officer, Chief Legal Officer Strategic Operations Command, Director of Operational and International Law, Deputy Director of the Asia-Pacific Centre for Military Law, and Director Navy Legal and Director of the Military Law Centre.
This episode references:
- Jack Beard “Soft Law's Failure on the Horizon: The International Code of Conduct for Outer Space Activities” University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, 2017
- The Woomera Manual Project
- The Outer Space Treaty of 1967
- The international outer space treaty regime
- “France accuses Russia of spying on military from space” Reuters, September 2018
- The Committee on Peaceful Use of Outer Space (COPUOS)