- Elder Abuse and Neglect Screening Guidelines for Mediators (Nov. 2020)
- State by State Definitions of Abuse (June 2021)
- Legal Issues Related to Elder Abuse: Guides for Law Enforcement - With funding from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, the Commission has produced three free publications: A Pocket Guide, Desk Guide and Desk Guide Template. Learn more and download copies now by visiting the Guides homepage. (January 2021)
- Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation: Checklist for Lawyers - This checklist is available for your use at no charge, consistent with the copyright statement on page one. This checklist was developed as part of the Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation Prevention Program (EIFFE Legal) in collaboration between the American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging and the Investor Protection Trust (March 2020). For more information about the EIFFE Prevention Program--Legal, scroll down to the Financial Exploitation section of this web page.
- Can Bank Tellers Tell? Legal Issues Relating to Banks Reporting Financial Abuse of the Elderly (long version)
- California Undue Influence Screening Tool - Developed based on California law, this tool provides a model for developing similar tools for criminal and civil assessment of undue influence.
- Definitions of Undue Influence in Statute or Case Law - This is a 50 state survey of undue influence law in state statutes or case law. The definitions or elements of a claim of undue influence vary from state to state. (August 2021)
Laws Related to Elder Abuse
Mandatory and Permissive Reporting Laws
- Adult Protective Services Reporting Laws
Chart (April 20, 2022)
Durable Power of Attorney Abuse
- Choosing an Agent for Your Power of Attorney (May 2020) Voice of Experience, ABA Senior Lawyers Division (Premium content for ABA members)
- Selected Issues in Power of Attorney Law (June 2023)
- Power of Attorney Tip Sheet - Five Safeguards to Consider Adding to Any Power of Attorney for Finances (June 2023)
- Strengthening State Civil Laws on Elder Abuse -Video - Recorded at the 2016 National Aging and Law Conference's "Core Essentials of Elder Law Series." Recording and editing made possible by the United States Department of Justice – Elder Justice Initiatives.
- Durable Power of Attorney Abuse
A National Center on Elder Abuse Fact Sheet for Consumers (Jan. 2008)
Legal Issues Related to Elder Abuse: Pocket and Desk Guides for Law Enforcement
With funding from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, the Commission has produced three free publications. Learn more and download copies now by visiting the guides homepage.
Elder Justice Initiatives
Elder Abuse Fatality Review Teams
Elder abuse fatality review teams review deaths resulting from or related to elder abuse to identify system gaps and improve victim services. Elder Abuse Fatality Review Teams: A Replication Manual (2005) raises the issues and challenges that a developing or ongoing team may face. It offers ideas for addressing those challenges that have been used by elder abuse, child abuse, or domestic violence fatality review teams. It discusses potential sources of funding and provides examples and analyses of key team documents prepared by elder abuse fatality review teams, such as mission statements, memoranda of understanding, policies, procedures, protocols, confidentiality forms, and data collection forms. Eleven charts updated or added in 2019, along with a variety of other resources, have made our EAFRT work even more helpful.
Adult Protective Services
- Threshold Eligibility Requirements For Adult Protective Services (December 2019)
- Adult Protective Services Reporting Laws (Dec. 2019)
- Citations to State Adult Protective Services Laws and Long Term Care Ombudsman Laws (April 2020)
- State by State Definitions of Abuse (June 2021)
Court-Focused Elder Abuse Initiatives
ABA Study Demonstrates Court-Focused Elder Abuse Initiatives Enhance Access to Justice for Victims and Offer Benefits to Courts and Other Agencies
Judges, court administrators, service providers, policymakers, and funders in other communities should give serious consideration to implementing similar efforts.
A resource for victims of elder abuse and financial exploitation and their families; practitioners who serve them; law enforcement agencies and prosecutors; and researchers seeking to understand and address this silent epidemic plaguing our nation's elders. The Elder Justice Website serves as a forum to share information and resources so that, as a nation working together, we can fight elder abuse and financial exploitation and support our older citizens.
Celebrating The Life of Lori Stiegel
On Tuesday September 29, 2020 colleagues, family and friends joined for a memorial celebration of the life of Lori Stiegel . A few family, friends, and colleagues shared their stories and memories of Lori. The links to the program are below.
All ABA content is copyrighted and may be reprinted and/or reproduced by permission only. In some cases, a fee may be charged. To protect the integrity of our authors’ work, we require that articles be reprinted unedited in their entirety. To request permission to reprint or reproduce any ABA content, go to the online reprint/reproduction request form.