ABA Annual Meeting Updates
- The Commission welcomed the 2013-2014 Commissioners at the ABA’s Annual Meeting. Joining us this year are four new Commission members: William Hopkins, Robyn Shapiro, Susan Shapiro, and Patricia Struck. The October issue of Bifocal will feature biographical information about our new Commissioners!
- The Commission’s two resolutions before the ABA’s House of Delegates were passed. You can find out more about the resolutions athttp://bit.ly/17Nc2gO.
- The Commission cosponsored two panels at the recent ABA Annual Meeting: “More than an Equal Sign: DOMA, Prop 8, the Supreme Court, and Your Practice” (on 8/9) and “Why Traditional Planning Fails Seniors” (on 8/10).
- An updated version of our useful Health Decisions Resources handout is now available: http://bit.ly/1895E9Q.
- Commission Director Sabatino discussed the importance of advanced care planning in podcast with David Introcaso of the Healthcare Policy Podcast. The recording is available online: http://bit.ly/150uwe5. (link no longer available)
- Commission Director Charlie Sabatino is on the AARP Caregiving Advisory Panel. Questions can be submitted to the Panel via the online form here: http://bit.ly/11HYi8f.
- Senior Attorney Lori Stiegel presented on the legal duties of fiduciaries at the Adult Protection and Advocacy Conference. You can view the panel slides online: http://bit.ly/16gW69x. (link no longer available)
- The New York Times blog The New Old Age featured a post titled “Unable to Cope, Unwilling to Accept Aid” with insight from Commission member Dr. XinQi Dong. It is available at: http://nyti.ms/1aaWNSf.
- Potential interns, we’ll be interviewing at the Equal Justice Works Conference and Career Fair in October. You can find out more online: http://bit.ly/15wdHcU. See you there!
- The ABA’s Division of Public Education announced that the Law Day 2014 theme is “American Democracy and the Rule of Law: Why Every Vote Matters.” Start your program planning now!
- The Senior Lawyers Division presented the 2013 John H. Pickering Award of Achievement to U.W. Clemon, retired chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.