National Aging & Law Institute--Register now!
The Institute will provide you with the multidisciplinary skills and knowledge to ensure you can meet your clients’ and communities’ needs holistically. This year’s Institute is a unique educational event that blends advanced substantive programming for attorneys both in private practice and in non-profit public interest practice, as well as for other non-attorney advocates in the aging network. Plan to join your peers to learn, network, and engage with leading experts in the field. With more than 25 high-quality, in-depth sessions, there is something for everyone.
Learn more at: http://www.naela.org/.
What’s Coming Up in COLA CLE?
Screening and Working with Older Clients with Diminished Capacity
–A Practical How-To Webinar
Charlie Sabatino, Commission Director, will present this webinar with Daniel C. Marson, Professor of Neurology at the University of Alabama, Birmingham.
America is graying and this means lawyers increasingly encounter more clients with age-related cognitive impairments caused by Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. These clients pose special challenges to representation, and lawyers are increasingly faced with the challenge of making accurate assessments of clients’ legal capacity to make decisions and engage in legal transactions.
This program will:
- Provide a practical approach and process for capacity screening by attorneys.
- Describe “warning signs” of diminished capacity in elderly clients.
- Clinical background on the nature, variations, and progression of cognitive impairments.
- Strategies for maximizing clients’ capacity.
- Practical guidelines for utilizing mental health professionals effectively.
The webinar is scheduled for October 24. To be placed on a notification list for when more information is available, please email Andrea Amato at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch Up on Missed CLE Events
- When Adult Guardianship Crosses State Lines: A Uniform Act to Address Jurisdictional Issues
The faculty discuss the basics of the Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act, including: provisions on initial jurisdiction, case transfer between states, out-of-state recognition and enforcement orders, and other practical applications.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
An overview of the different legal relationship options available to a family with a child being raised by grandparents or other relatives.
- Advance Directives and Estate Planning for LGBT Adults
an overview of the unique issues that arise when doing advance care and estate planning for same-sex couples, including relationship recognition, document preparation, financing elder care, and the impact of possible changes in the legal landscape.
- Drafting Financial Powers of Attorney: Avoiding Financial Exploitation of the Elderly
Learn smart drafting and counseling skills and how state law is changing to strengthen the effectiveness and safety of powers of attorney for finances.