(The pdf for the issue in which this article appears is available for download: Bifocal, Vol. 41, Issue 2.)
Quiz answers are below
1. What was the original name of the ABA Commission on Law and Aging?
a) Commission on Concerns of the Aging
b) Commission on Aging Law and Policy
c) Commission on Legal Problems of the Elderly
2. How many adults age 65 and older will there be in the US in 2020?
a) 46 million
b) 56 million
c) 66 million
3. What percentage of households age 55 and older have neither retirement savings nor a defined benefit retirement plan?
4. How many persons in the US are unpaid caregivers of adults ages 65 and older?
a) 17 million
b) 40 million
c) 52 million
5. Who was the first person to enroll in Medicare?
a) President Harry Truman
b) Eleanor Roosevelt
c) Keith Richards
6. In 2019, how many state bar associations have a section or committee devoted to the legal needs of the elderly?
7. How many national resource centers, including the National Center on Law & Elder Rights, does the Administration for Community Living fund?
8. What percent of adults over age 65 are employed full-time or part-time?
9. How many centenarians where there in the United States in 2017?
10. What percentage of Medicare beneficiaries lack dental coverage?
11. How many grandparents were raising grandchildren in 2017?
a) 1.5 million
b) 2.5 million
c) 9.5 million
12. What movie star did an early ABA Commission video on advance directives feature?
a) Raul Julia
b) Helen Hayes
c) Lloyd Bridges
2. B (US Census Bureau, Stats for Stories: National Senior Citizens Day: August 21, 2019)
3. C (U.S. Government Accountability Office, Retirement Security: Most Households Approaching Retirement Have Low Savings, GAO-15-419, May 12, 2015)
4. B (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Unpaid Eldercare in the United States--2015-16 Summary, https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ elcare.nr0.htm
6. C (Commission on Law and Aging, unpublished survey)
7. C (ACL, https://acl.gov/node/2884, October 18, 2019)
8. B (Pew Research Center, 10 Facts About American Workers, August 29, 2019)
9. C (Administration for Community Living, 2018 Profile of Older Americans)
10. A (Meredith Freed, et al., Policy Options for Improving Dental Coverage for People on Medicare, Kaiser Family Foundation Issue Brief, September 2019)
11. B (Generations United, https://www.gu.org/explore-our-topics/grandfamilies/
12. B (In Your Hands: The Tools for Preserving Personal Autonomy, 1994)