Spring is in the air many places, including the Sonoran Desert, where the cacti are in bloom, and the ice has cracked on the Santa Cruz River (which translates into the first 100-degree day). The Clipper racers have finally been released from quarantine in Subic Bay, Philippines, but that race, like the Americas Cup, is done for the year. The Supreme Court is holding telephonic hearings and has taught us that it is possible for the federal government to spend hundreds of millions in insurer subsidies without an actual appropriations bill. That, gentle reader, means it is time for the first 2020 edition of the EBC Newsletter. The continuing efforts to address a broad spectrum of issues and developments of interest bring you the following offerings in this edition:
- Professor Dana Muir offers her insights on the Supreme Court oral argument in Thole v. U.S. Bank.
- Freeman Levinrad takes us into a brave new retirement plan world with his article, “SECURE and CARES: Eight Interesting Issues Affecting Retirement Plans.”
- Mary E. Powell and Lindsay R. Docto of Trucker Huss, APC, take us on a similar journey into the non-retirement plan adjustments under the CARES Act in their article, “COVID-19 Testing, the CARES Act and Applicable Agency Guidance.”
- Claire Kennedy-Wilkins provides information and insights on COVID related relief on disability claims in her article entitled, “Joint Agency Action Automatically Extends Group Disability Appeal Deadlines During the COVID-19 Pandemic”
- And before we close the books on the Midwinter meeting, our fearless leaders offer their thoughts on the 2020 meeting.
- The ever-popular As We Go to e-Press is sheltering in place at the moment, but will make a triumphant return.
The members of the editorial board remain keenly interested in your feedback on whether we are capturing what you would like to see in your newsletter. They would also be delighted to discuss article ideas you may have. Those with thoughts on issues they would like to see addressed and/or thoughts on articles should contact one of the editors.