Dear JD Members:
This year, the Judicial Division has the opportunity to recommend to President-Elect Deborah Enix-Ross, some of the extraordinary leaders from the Judicial Division for her over 700 Presidential Appointments. If you are interested, you must apply for ABA Presidential appointments through the Presidential Nomination system online at the Presidential Nomination webpage. The application process opened on December 31, 2021.
If you would like the Judicial Division to consider supporting your nomination, please apply to the ABA online FIRST and save a digital copy of your nomination data.
If you want a letter of support, you MUST submit the copy of your nomination data and request for support to Tori Jo Wible at [email protected] by Thursday, February 10, 2022. The Nominating Committee meets at 1 pm PT on Friday, February 11. The portal to submit letters of support closes at 5 pm Central Time on February 18, 2022. In order to allow the Nominating Committee time to evaluate the applications and submit the letters of support, NO applications received after 5 pm Central Time on Thursday, February 10, 2022 will be considered for a letter of support.
Also, you should copy the immediate past chair of your conference and send her/him a copy of your nomination data and request for support. The immediate past chair will take the lead on discussions on any recommendations for members from their own conference. The JD Nominating Committee will review all applications and will determine whether to issue a letter of support.
Below we have listed entities that are of particular interest to the Judicial Division and the members of the Nominating Committee. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact Tori Jo Wible.
If you would like to discuss this process, please feel free to contact the ABA Appointments Committee Chair, Michelle Behnke; or Vice-Chair, Stephen Younger. For questions regarding the on-line application, please contact the Office of the President at (312) 988-5134 or [email protected].
Hon. J. Michelle Childs, Chair, Nominating Committee
Hon. J. Michelle Childs, Immediate Past JD Chair (FTJ)
Hon. Steven David (AJC)
Hon Linda Bell (STJ)
Hon. Alex Manuel (NCALJ)
Hon. Ronald Ramsey (SCJ)
Hon. Miguel Torres (FTJ)
Ms. Monica Fennell (LC)
The following is a list of Standing Committees, Special Committees and Commissions of particular interest to the Judicial Division:
Standing Committees of Interest:
- Standing Committee on Disaster Response and Preparedness
- Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility, Judges Advisory Committee
- Standing Committee on Gavel Awards
- Standing Committee on Governmental Affairs
- Standing Committee on Gun Violence and the Advisory Committee
- Standing Committee on the Law Library of Congress, Advisory Commission
- Standing Committee on Legal Aid and Indigent Defense
- Standing Committee on Membership
- Standing Committee on Public Education
- Standing Committee on Publishing Oversight
Special Committees and Commissions of Interest:
- Center for Human Rights
- Commission on Disability Rights
- Commission on Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Commission on Hispanic Legal Rights and Responsibilities
- Commission on Homelessness and Poverty
- Commission on Immigration and Advisory Committee
- Commission on Law and Aging
- Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession
- Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice
- Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
- Commission on Women in the Profession
- Commission on Youth at Risk and Advisory Commission
- Rule of Law Initiative and the various County and Regional Initiatives