I first entered Rikers Island in 1991 as a journalist to interview a prisoner. Although Rikers Island lies just six miles from midtown Manhattan, it took me one subway ride, two buses, clearance through numerous metal detectors, and two pat frisks before I arrived in the visiting room of the world’s largest penal colony—nearly two hours later. I swore I would never return.
Premium Content For:
- Lawyers Conference
- National Conference of Specialized Court Judges
- National Conference of State Trial Judges
- National Conference of the Administrative Law Judiciary
- National Conference of Federal Trial Judges
- Appellate Judges Conference