About the Program
Treaty interpretation is the work of international lawyers. It is a core skill and this program will sharpen your skill. Leading experts will walk you through the goals, principles and challenges of treaty interpretation in a plenary session. Participants will then have the opportunity in a smaller working group to tackle interpretation in one of several pressing areas: human rights and the challenges of diplomatic immunity, private international law, and national security exceptions in trade and investment agreements.
What to Expect
- An overview of what purposes interpretation serves and how those purposes can drive the interpretative process;
- A detailed explication of the core rules of treaty interpretation found in the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties;
- Renowned scholars and practitioners from different jurisdictions will provide a comparative perspective.
Opportunities to take the general perspective and examine its application to concrete cases in one of three concurrent breakout sessions:
- National security exceptions in trade and investment agreements.
- Human rights treaty interpretation, with a focus on human trafficking and the challenges of diplomatic immunity; and
- U.S. practice interpreting the conventions of the Hague Conference on Private International Law concerning service, evidence, and child abduction.
- Live participation in the breakout sessions with other attendees and experts.
- Interactive networking session with the experts and attendees.
Professor Ronald Brand, Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg University Professor and John E. Murray Faculty Scholar, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, PA
Professor Kathleen Claussen, Associate Professor of Law, University of Miami School of Law, Miami, FL
Professor Duncan Hollis, Laura H. Carnell Professor of Law, Temple School of Law, Philadelphia, PA
Ishaani Shrivastava, Barrister, Devereux Chambers, London
Professor Philippa Webb, Professor of Public International Law, The Dickson Poon School of Law, King’s College London
Dr. Geraldo Vidigal, Assistant Professor, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Section Member: $25.00
- ABA Member: $99.00
- Non ABA Member: $99.00
CLE will not be offered for this series
If you have any questions about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org