Please note that content and images might look different or missing when using the Internet Explorer browser. If you’re experiencing these technical problems, we recommend using a different browser, such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari for optimal viewing. We are actively working to resolve these technical issues. And we appreciate your patience in the meantime.
Register Now: IP WEST 2019
A CLE institute for current issues in intellectual property law
The ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law proudly presents its third annual IP WEST, an institute on the latest issues in intellectual property law, to be held October 1-3, 2019 at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and Spa in San Antonio, Texas. IP WEST brings together prominent IP industry leaders from the U.S. and around the world to gain knowledge on the newest developments, emerging issues and best practices in IP law through dynamic CLE programming and interactive networking events.
Experience a wide range of educational programming with topics that include:
- USPTO and US Copyright Office: Digital and Emerging Technology
- Game-Changing Habits of Outside Counsel and In-House Counsel
- Perspectives from the Bench
- Proving Your IP Damages Case at Trial
- Halo and Its Effects on Willful Infringement and Enhanced Damages
- Copyright Law Development
- Right of Publicity and Social Media
- Legal and Ethical Dilemmas for the IP Practitioner (Ethics)
- Trademark Law Updates
This year, IP WEST will also feature a number of shorter “IP Talks” on hot topics by eight renowned and influential speakers follow the style and format of the popular TED talks. These will include:
- Bilski: Ten Years Later and What Has Happened
Speaker: J. Michael Jakes, Partner, Finnegan, Washington, DC
- Title Source v. HouseCanary: Trade Secret Lessons Learned
Speaker: Max L. Tribble, Partner, Susman Godfrey LLP, Houston, TX
- Robust Patent Rights and Innovation
Speaker: Maureen Ohlhausen, Practice Group Chair – Antitrust & Competition Law, Partner, Baker Botts LLP, Washington, DC
- Trial by Jury on Obviousness?
Speaker: Joseph Re, Partner, Knobbe Martens, Irvine, CA
- Patent Law for Better or Worse: Supreme Court and Federal Circuit
Speaker: Gale R. “Pete” Peterson, Law Offices of Gale R. Peterson, San Antonio, TX
- Trademarks 2019: Everything You Need to Know But Are Afraid to Ask
Speaker: Meredith M. Wilkes, Partner, Jones Day, Cleveland, OH
- Diversity for the Competitive Edge
Speaker: Rosa Maria Villagomez, Legal Industry Consultant, Mountaintop Consulting, Houston, TX
- The USPTO and a Trademark Update
Speaker: Jason Lott, Attorney Advisor Educational Outreach, USPTO, Alexandria, VA
Engaging lunch time talks will include:
- “A Fireside Chat with the USPTO Texas Regional Office Director,” providing an interactive discussion covering a diverse set of topics, including guidelines, policies, priorities and initiatives.
Speaker: Hope C. Shimabuku, Director of the Texas Regional Office, USPTO, Dallas, TX
Moderator: George W. Jordan, III, Senior Counsel, Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP, Houston, TX
- “NASA: To the Moon and Beyond,” Discussing how NASA’s innovative public-private partnership agreements stimulate and advance commercial space ventures.
Speaker: Kurt G. Hammerle, IP Attorney, Office of Chief Counsel, Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center (JSC), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Houston, TX
A special San Antonio River Walk tour will be offered for those interested, on Tuesday, October 1, from 1:00-5:00 pm.
Sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information, contact Carey Farley, Associate Director of Programming at email@example.com.
Premium Content For:
- Intellectual Property Law Section