Applications are currently open for the 2021-22 Young Lawyer Fellows Program
The ABA-IPL Section will select two fellows for two-year terms from applicants with proven achievement, participation, excellence, and commitment. The goal of the ABA-IPL Fellows Program is to develop future leadership and encourage diversity in the Section. Fellows are encouraged to attend Section meetings and are expected to work within areas such as ABA-IPL Action groups, Boards, and Committees. Fellows also promote diversity and membership, as they continue to develop leadership skills and responsibilities in the Section. Participants in the ABA-IPL Fellows Program are funded to attend select Section conferences during their years in the program.
- Member of the ABA and ABA-IPL Section (currently or by time of appointment to Fellows Program)
- Lawyer, age 32 or younger, or less than two years after the date you were first admitted to practice.
- Previous demonstration of leadership qualities and commitment in such areas as:
- work in the ABA-IPL Section
- work in other bar associations and organizations
- diversity initiatives
- professional pro bono activities
- outstanding academic and or professional achievement
Responsibilities of Fellows:
- Attend the Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference (Spring Conference), ABA Annual Meeting, and the ABA Midyear Meeting for each year of the fellowship, as well as any standalone meetings of their committees.
- Actively participate in the Section's Young Lawyers Action Group (YLAG).
- Participate with the Liaisons from the ABA Young Lawyers Division in recruiting YLD members to become members of the Section, with a specific goal for each Fellow to identify each ABA year no fewer than five persons who can be personally recruited by ABA-IPL Section leadership to get involved in the Section.
- Coordinate with the YLD Liaison's' efforts to provide broader exposure of the benefits of ABA-IPL Section membership within YLD, including developing plans for joint social and substantive events and programs at the ABA Annual Meeting, as well as YLD meetings.
- Report their experiences as ABA-IPL Young Lawyer Fellows to Section Council and YLD Council on an annual basis.
- Act as mentors to new Fellows and other young lawyer members who join the ABA-IPL Section and to help organize an annual Fellows alumni event to be held at each ABA-IPL Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference.
- Actively participate in at least one other substantive Section committee of their choice.
2017-2020 Young Lawyer Fellows
Palo Alto, CA
2018-2021 Young Lawyer Fellows
New York, NY
2019-2022 Young Lawyer Fellows
2020-2023 Young Lawyer Fellows