SCHEDULE B: Experienced Trademark Practitioners
Wednesday, September 9
All times listed in Eastern Standard Time (ET)
12:00 pm – 12:15 pm | Welcome
- Tracy L. Deutmeyer, Officer, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., Des Moines, IA, Trademark Day Planning Committee Chair
12:15 pm – 1:15 pm | Making Effective Oral Arguments to the TTAB
Hear from TTAB judges on advance topics for ex parte and inter partes proceedings including how to create powerful and persuasive arguments in motions, final briefs, and oral arguments, and how to effectively build the record during the testimony period through depositions, declarations, Notice of Reliances, and more.
- Hon. Michael Adlin, Administrative Trademark Judge, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO
- Hon. Cindy Greenbaum, Administrative Trademark Judge, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO
1:15 pm – 1:45 pm | BREAK
1:45 pm – 2:45 pm | Ask the USPTO: Q & A with the Experts
Get your questions answered by the experts. Hear from Managing Attorneys, a USPTO Technology Administrator and a Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Interlocutory Attorney on advanced examination, technology and TTAB topics, for questions submitted in advance.
- Tanya Amos, Trademark Legal Administrator, Electronic Filing & Public Web Services, USPTO
- Hellen Bryan-Johnson, Managing Attorney, USPTO
- Catherine L. Tarcu, Senior Supervisory Attorney, USPTO
- Michael Webster, Interlocutory Attorney, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO
2:45 pm – 3:15 pm | BREAK
3:15 pm – 4:15 pm | Failure-to-Function Refusals
You have seen and worried over the failure-to-function cases from the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Now hear from the USPTO itself on failure-to-function refusals during examination, including the latest rules and procedures in examining specimens. Hear the policy reasons behind the latest specimen examination procedures and how practitioners can prepare their clients and themselves for what’s ahead.
- Tashia Bunch, Attorney Advisor – Legal Policy, Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Trademark Examination Policy, USPTO
4:15 pm – 4:30 pm | BREAK
4:30 pm – 5:30 pm | Breakout Room Discussions
- Best Practices in U.S. Searching
Ryan M. Fountain, Law Offices of Ryan M. Fountain, Mishawaka, IN
- Best Practices and Tips in Client Counseling on Likelihood of Confusion
John Heinbockel, Seyfarth Shaw, LLP, New York, NY
- Alternative Fee Arrangements
Matthew Asbell, Offit Kurman, P.A., New York, NY
- Strategies for responding to ID refusals for overseas applicants
Christopher J. Schulte, Merchant & Gould P.C., Minneapolis, MN
- Life After Registration: Client Counseling in Trademark Renewals and Maintenance
Eric Perrott, Gerben Law Firm, Washington, DC
- Best Practices in US New Filings (Tailored to newer practitioners)
Tracy L. Deutmeyer, Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., Des Moines, IA
- TTAB Tips and Strategies
Erik Pelton, Founder and Lead Attorney, Erik M. Pelton & Associates, PLLC, Falls Church, VA
Thursday, September 10
All times listed in Eastern Standard Time (EST)
12:00 pm – 12:15 pm | Welcome
- Steven R. Berk, Group Director, Trademark Law Offices, USPTO, Trademark Day Planning Committee Chair
12:15 pm-12:30 pm | Keynote
The role of a Senior Trademark Advisor in the Office of the Under Secretary and Director at the USPTO.
- Kathleen Cooney-Porter, Senior Trademark Advisor, Office of the Under Secretary and Director, USPTO
12:30 pm – 1:15 pm | Post Registration Audits
Get an inside look as to how Post Registration Audits are conducted at the USPTO and learn how to prepare now for possible audit.
- Montia Givens Pressey, Supervisory Senior Attorney, USPTO
1:15 pm – 1:30 pm | BREAK
1:30 pm – 2:00 pm | State of the Trademark Office
Update regarding the operations of the Trademark Office, including, recent statistics, current fillings, and more.
- David S. Gooder, Commissioner for Trademarks, USPTO
2:00 pm – 2:30 pm | State of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
Update regarding the current happenings and operations of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board including current structure overview, recent fillings and more.
- Hon. Gerard F. Rogers, Chief Administrative Trademark Judge, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO
2:30 pm – 2:45 pm | BREAK
2:45 pm – 3:45 pm | Ethical Considerations for Trademark Practitioners
Listen to an analysis of ethical considerations in practitioners’ signing verifications or declarations; receive an update on certain proposed ethics rules for trademark practitioners, including those related to patterns of refused specimens; and hear about other ethical considerations for trademark practitioners.
- William Covey, Deputy General Counsel and Director for the Office of Enrollment and Discipline, USPTO
3:15 pm – 4:00 pm | BREAK
4:00 pm – 5:30 pm | TTAB Hearing
Prior to the hearing, a preview will be provided regarding the background and details of the hearing case.
- Hon. Jonathan Hudis, Administrative Trademark Judge, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO
Hearing Information: To Be Announced
Brining the USPTO to You: Topics & Tips for Experienced Trademark Practitioners Track (B)
- ABA-IPL Section Member: $50.00
- ABA Member: $75.00
- Non-Member: $100.00
- Law Student: $30.00