Our country has recently been rocked to its very core by violent riots and protests that have affected the rights of both individuals and society as a whole. The basic legal and constitutional foundations on which our system of justice is premised have been questioned, attacked, and subjected to scrutiny by various interest groups and have also been supported by traditionalists seeking to preserve and protect our national interests. The First Amendment right of freedom of speech and expression is being put to the test. The U.S. Constitution itself is even being questioned by some. Is this fundamentally a question of who is right and who is wrong, or is there a point at which the views of both sides of the issue can be simultaneously accommodated?
The September/October 2023 issue of GPSolo magazine examines various timely, thought-provoking, and evolving issues affecting the potential direction and course of conduct that our country must consider going into the future. There is surely something contained in it that will make everyone pause, even if only briefly, to ponder where our society is headed. This is certainly an issue of the magazine that you will not want to miss.
Feature articles in GPSolo’s September/October 2023 issue, “Protest or Riot: An Overview of Accountability,” include:
- “The Right to Protest: Crossing the Line to Riots, Violence, and Insurrection” by Charles J. DiMare and Elizabeth O’Connor Tomlinson
- “First Amendment Rights During a Period of American Civil Unrest” by John S. Austin
- “Vigilante Justice: Street Protests and the ‘Good Guy with a Gun’” by John P. Gross
- “Legal Accountability and the January 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol” by Angela J. Scott
- “Cracking the Blue Wall of Silence: A Necessary Step for Police Reform” by Marina A. Torres and Felipe Curiel
- “Restraint or Constraint: Accountability and Reform in Police Use of Potentially Dangerous Restraint Techniques” by K. Chike Odiwe
- “Police Accountability: Qualified Immunity Revisited” by David Coyle
The issue also contains practice technology and practice management articles on such topics as freedom of speech and content moderation in social media, using artificial intelligence intelligently, hybrid work in a post-COVID world, using VPNs to secure your data on public WiFi, and mixing parenthood with solopreneurship.
We hope you enjoy this issue and find its content informative, intriguing, thought-provoking, and applicable to your life and your law practice.
Published in GPSolo eReport, Volume 13, Number 2, September 2023. © 2023 by the American Bar Association. Reproduced with permission. All rights reserved. This information or any portion thereof may not be copied or disseminated in any form or by any means or stored in an electronic database or retrieval system without the express written consent of the American Bar Association. The views expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the positions or policies of the American Bar Association or the Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division.