October 01, 2017

Calculating Child Support for Military Servicemembers

Chris Barondeau

Reprinted with permission from the ABA Section of Family Law eNewsletter, September 2017. © 2017 American Bar Association. All rights reserved. This information or any or portion thereof may not be copied or disseminated in any form or by any means or stored in an electronic database or retrieval system without the express written consent of the American Bar Association.


Active duty military service members, as part of their compensation, often receive a monthly stipend for both housing and food. This monthly stipend consists of a Basic Allowance for Housing payment (BAH) and a Basic Allowance for Subsistence payment (BAS). BAH will be provided in the event that a service member is not being furnished with government provided housing. If government furnished housing is available, a service member may not receive a BAH payment or will received a reduced BAH payment. BAS is typically provided regardless of the availability of government provided meals.

Premium Content For:
  • Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division
Join - Now