The Hodson Award named in honor of the distinguished public service career of the late Major General Kenneth J. Hodson, a former Judge Advocate General of the U.S. Army, and a founding member of the Division, recognizes sustained, outstanding performance or a specific and extraordinary service by a government or public sector law office (it is not an award for an individual). Eligible nominees include all government (including military) or public sector law offices (e.g., legal aid bureaus, public defender offices and other legal organizations funded by the Legal Services Corporation) at the federal, state and local levels. To be eligible, nominees must receive funding from a government entity. Departments or units within offices are also eligible.
SUBMITTING A NOMINATION
Please email your nomination as a PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Award Submission" in the subject line. Nominations are due by 5:00 pm Eastern on April 6, 2020.
Nominee Information Required*
- Full name, title, address, telephone number, and e-mail address of nominee.
- Name of nominee office’s director/manager.
- Size of the nominee office: number of lawyers, number of support personnel, approximate annual budget, and amount or percentage of funding provided to the office by the government.
- Mission of the nominee office: brief explanation of the nominee unit's principle function as a government or public sector law office.
- Summary of nominee's outstanding service and/or achievements (25 to 100 words).
- Detailed narrative explanation of the nominee's service including the following information: how the nominee's service is outstanding, significant and "above the call of duty"; the time frame of the service and assessment of the impact of the extraordinary service. (600 to 800 words).
- Names, titles and phone numbers of three other persons who are familiar with nominee's achievements.
- Specifically for the nominator: provide contact information and a brief statement about yourself including any information that would assist the Awards Committee in evaluating the nomination.
* The Awards Committee is unable to review supplemental materials in addition to what is required above.
Past Hodson Award Recipients
1993 Public Protection Division of the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office
1994 American Law Division, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, and Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc.
1995 International and Operational Law Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Department of the Army
1996 Office of the County Attorney, Broward County, FL
1997 Domestic Abuse Service Center of the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, Minneapolis, MN
1998 Naval Legal Service Office Pacific and Office of the New York State Attorney General
1999 Office of the County Attorney, Montgomery County, MD
2000 First Infantry Division and Seventh Army Training Command’s Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, and Office of Criminal Enforcement, Antitrust Division, United States Department of Justice
2001 San Diego Public Defender's Office
2002 Center for Disability and Elder Law, Chicago, IL
2003 California's Administrative Office of the Courts' Center for Families, Children and the Courts, San Francisco, CA
2004 Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Law Department
2005 Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, Covington, KY
2006 Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office Juvenile Offender Intervention Network (J.O.I.N.)
2007 Community Legal Services, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
2008 Lawyers For Children, Inc., New York, NY
2009 Children's Law Center of Los Angeles
2010 Legal Services Support Section, Combat Logistics Regiment-17, 1st Marine Logistics Group, and U.S. Agency for International Development, Office of General Counsel
2011 The Bronx Defenders and the Offices of the Staff Judge Advocate for United States Couthern Command and Joint Task Force - Haiti
2012 Southeast Louisiana Legal Services
2013 Pima County Attorney's Office, Victim Services Division, Tucson, AZ
2014 Georgia Legal Services Program
2015 San Francisco Public Defender's Office
2016 U.S. Agency for International Development, Office of General Counsel
2017 The Office of the Los Angeles City Attorney
2018 Military Commissions Defense Organization, Washington, DC
2019 County of Santa Clara (California) Office of the County Counsel
Read more about the 2019 Hodson Award winner.