The membership goals of this committee are to solicit, enroll and retain attorneys throughout all jurisdictions as members of the largest and most representative organization of lawyers who deal with family law issues, as well as enhance a positive image of the family lawyer by highlighting and promoting the contributions of the Section of Family Law and its members to the welfare of the family unit through research projects and educational programs.
The committee also serves ABA Family Law Section members by developing new products, and by coordinating the bundling and re-bundling of existing section products.
The Member Benefit Development Committee is a Standing Committee. Standing committees are established and authorized by Council or by the Chair with the advice and consent of Council and are responsible to Council.
The Member Benefit Development Committee Chair is appointed by the Chair Elect, upon consultation with the Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary of the section, to serve during the upcoming year. The appointment is to be made by June 1st. The Chair’s term begins at the conclusion of the annual meeting and continues for one year.
The committee chair has the following responsibilities which can be accomplished by working with a Vice-Chair or Co-Chair:
- Coordinate committee members to assist in acclimating new attendees to the meeting and the Section in general by building connections at meetings and via list serves to help new members and attendees feel more involved and with the goal of increasing member retention.
- Coordinating committee members to post materials on the Committee’s webpage which serves as a home for all substantive area knowledge sharing.
- Writing and submitting a column for the Committee Corner section of the E-Newsletter when requested.
- Using the committee list serve to communicate with the committee regarding upcoming meetings, CLE proposals, special projects and other topics relevant to the committee.
- When a committee project requires financing, the committee chair is responsible for making a formal budget request to the Finance Officer in a timely manner.
- Communicating with the committee’s council liaison to facilitate communication with Section leadership.
- The Chair of the Committee is required to submit a status report to the Section’s Council to be included in the Fall, Spring, and Annual Meeting Agenda books.
- Be prepared to give an oral report at council upon request.