The Commission on Women in the Profession presented its 2023 Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement on August 6, 2023, at the 2023 ABA Annual Meeting in Denver. The award was established in 1991 to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of women lawyers.
Each year, the Commission honors up to five outstanding women lawyers who have achieved professional excellence within their area of specialty and actively paved the way to success for other women lawyers. These women demonstrate excellence in a variety of professional settings and personify excellence on either the national, regional, or local levels.
This year, the Commission was proud to honor:
- Hon. Sabrina S. McKenna—associate justice, Supreme Court of the State of Hawai‘i, Honolulu, HI
- Melissa Murray—Frederick I. and Grace Stokes Professor of Law, New York University School of Law, New York, NY
- Yvette Ostolaza—chair, management committee, and member, executive committee, Sidley Austin LLP, Dallas, TX
- Deborah Willig—managing partner, Willig, Williams & Davidson, Philadelphia, PA
- Jill Wine-Banks—MSNBC contributor; author, The Watergate Girl; co-host, #SistersInLaw and iGenPolitics Podcast, Evanston, IL
More information about the Margaret Brent Awards can be found at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/diversity/women/margaret-brent-awards. Nominations for the 2024 Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Awards will open in October 2023.