During the ABA Annual Meeting in August 2015, the Commission presented a showcase CLE program, “Women as Lead Counsel at Trial: What You Can Do to Take the Lead,” based on its new report, First Chairs at Trial: More Women Need Seats at the Table (see article on page 8 of this issue). In addition to discussing why more women are not sitting as lead counsel in major litigation matters and what we can do to change the situation, the panelists offered advice on how women can obtain trial experience. This program may be purchased for viewing online at http://shop.americanbar.org/eBus/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=204686958.
Moderator: Roberta D. Liebenberg, senior partner, Fine Kaplan and Black, R.P.C., and coauthor of First Chairs at Trial
- Hon. Ruben Castillo, chief judge, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Hon. Sophia H. Hall, administrative presiding judge, Resource Section, Juvenile Justice and Child Protection Department, Circuit Court, Cook County, Illinois
- Paula Hinton, partner, Winston & Strawn LLP, Houston, Texas
- Sandra Phillips, general counsel and chief legal officer, Toyota Motor North America, Torrance, California
- Stephanie Scharf, partner, Scharf Banks Marmor LLC, Chicago, Illinois, and coauthor of First Chairs at Trial