The 2020 Margaret Brent Awards Luncheon will be held on
- Ruthe Catolico Ashley; Executive Director Emeritus; California LAW; Sacramento, CA.
- Hon. Anna Blackburne-Rigsby; Chief Judge, District of Columbia Court of Appeals; Washington, DC.
- Deborah Epstein; Professor of Law and Co-Director; Domestic Violence Clinic; Georgetown University Law Center; Washington, DC.
- Wendi Lazar; Partner, Outten & Golden LLP; New York, NY.
- Regina Montoya; CEO, Regina T. Montoya, PLLC; Dallas, TX.
These esteemed honorees were chosen because they carry forward the legacy of Margaret Brent. Margaret Brent was the first woman lawyer in America. She arrived in the colonies in 1638. She was a master negotiator, an accomplished litigator, and a respected leader. She was involved in 124 court cases over 8 years and won every case. In 1648, she formally demanded a “vote and voice” in the Maryland Assembly, which the governor denied. Over 250 years later, Harper’s magazine noted: “By this action, Margaret Brent undoubtedly plaed herself as the first woman in America to make a stand for the rights of her sex." View a video about Margaret Brent's life here.