From Visible Invisibility to Visibly Successful: The Women of Color Research Initiative Program Toolkit
The Women of Color Research Initiative is made possible through the generosity of supporters. If you find our resources useful, please consider making a donation to the Fund for Justice and Education and designate that your donation be given to the ABA Commission on Women in the Profession.
We need your feedback and suggestions. If you present the Women of Color Toolkit, please complete the Toolkit Use form here.
If you want to discuss the Toolkit with staff, please contact Program Specialist Cecilia Boyd at 312-988-5679 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning the Program
Ask your event planner(s) these four questions to ensure success.
Program Agenda - A conference agenda for either a 1½-hour or a 2½-hour program. Format, sequence of presentations, and segment options. Also includes list of recommended topics for panel discussions and types of suggested speakers.
PowerPoint Slides - Customizable slides with talking points to use for programming and discussion.
Program Handouts - Executive summaries of two of the Women of Color Research Initiative's publications are available as handouts and may provide the necessary materials for CLE credit depending on your state's accreditation standards.
- Visible Invisibility: Women of Color in Law Firms (Executive Summary)
- Visible Invisibility: Women of Color in Fortune 500 Legal Departments (Executive Summary)
Written Scenarios and Discussion Guides - A library of written scenarios for large or small group discussion with a discussion guide for presenters.
Download individual scenarios/discussion guides
Video Scenarios - A library of videos of selected scenarios in action.
Speakers Bureau - Potential speakers and panelists
Marketing the Program
Program Description - Text that can be used to create a marketing flyer.
Social Media Guide - Helpful tips for promoting your event on social media
Core Reading - The Women of Color Research Initiative's research studies provide in-depth background information:
- Visible Invisibility: Women of Color in Law Firms
- From Visible Invisibility to Visibly Successful: Success Strategies for Law Firms and Women of Color in Law Firms
- Visible Invisibility: Women of Color in Fortune 500 Legal Departments
Bibliography - List of additional resources for a more in-depth understanding of the research as well as potential solutions and strategies. To be distributed to speakers in advance of the conference as well as to conference attendees.
Evaluating Your Program
- Minority Women Are Disappearing from BigLaw--and Here's Why (ABA Journal - March 2016)
- From Visible Invisibility to Visibly Successful: Women of Color and Research and Strategies for the Workplace (webinar audio - 6/4/14)
Please also visit our Grit Project Program Toolkit here.